Welcome to the HEAL Food Alliance quarterly newsletter! To stay up to date on what’s happening in the food and farm justice movement, subscribe now »
Spring is here, and with it comes warmth, rejuvenation and possibility for the future. At the HEAL Food Alliance, we’re continuing to advocate for a just and equitable food system that prioritizes the health and well-being of working people and their families.
ICYMI— did you notice the coneflower*?
Each HEAL newsletter will feature a medicinal plant as part of our Alliance’s ‘recipe’ for resistance and healing!
Our Alliance is Flourishing!
We’re excited to welcome three new, California-based members to our alliance: Manzanita Capital Collective, Minnow, Urban Tilth
2023 Farm Bill For A Thriving Future!
Our alliance kicked off our campaign for a 2023 Farm Bill for a Thriving Future with a week long rally in DC and letter to Congress! (Read more below). Our vision is for a Farm Bill that transforms our destructive food and farm systems, our health, our communities, and our planet and prioritizes the wellbeing of BIPOC and rural communities!
“True power lies within” 🌱✨
2023 HEAL School of Political Leadership is underway! Check out cohort member Desmond Timberlake’s reflection on his experience so far.
10 Years of Procuring Food Justice
HEAL Food Alliance and Food Chain Workers Alliance are thrilled to share our learnings in a national report on our work to transform the way our public institutions purchase food. Join us Tuesday, May 16 at 11 AM PT/ 2PM ET for this special event.
HEAL Policy Wins
- Meatpacking Workers Say Tyson Foods Makes Them Fight to See the Doctor | In These Times
- California Farmworkers Are Underwater in More Ways Than One | Civil Eats
- From Farmworkers to Land Healers: Immigrant and Indigenous farmworkers in California reclaim the power of their labor | Yes!
- Watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver shines a spotlight on farmworkers’ fight for just treatment and work conditions ☀️✊🏽
- Check out the Restaurant Workers’ Bill of Rights from ROC United 🍴
- Listen to Abolishing Exploitation & Prison Slavery in College Food podcast episode from Real Food Media 🥘
- Read A Darker Wilderness: Black Nature Writing from Soil to Stars by Erin Sharkey 🌱📖
- World build at the Food Sovereignty and Farming Lessons from the High Desert series by Seeding Sovereignty 🌾
Attieke with Fried Fish and Plantains 🐟
Kade Diakete, HEAL’s new Operations Administrator shares a recipe for Attieke With Fried Fish & Plantains – a popular West African dish from the Ivory Coast made with cassava couscous, fish and plantain.
“I grew up eating and making this dish with my mom. I always loved buying it at the local street stands in Guinea. Sometimes we’d buy a large portion, put it on the biggest plate we had, and invite family to enjoy the meal together. That paired with a ginger drink,* everything is great. The different flavors, textures, and colors make a party on the plate and in taste. It reminds me of home every time.”
*recipe to make ginger juice
Donate to the Tyson Worker Strike Fund! Over 300 Tyson workers lost wages while bravely standing up for their rights in a 5-day strike at a Tyson Foods plant in Van Buren, AR earlier this month.
Brandworkers May Day 2023 Fundraiser! Celebrate May Day this year by supporting food and beverage factory workers organizing to directly challenge workplace conditions and secure the changes they need. Donate Now
Crisis Support for California Ag Communities! Our members at Kitchen Table Advisors has set up a community resource page to support California farming communities impacted by flooding and winter storms.
- Chicago Food Policy Action Council: Equitable Supply Chain Development Manager
- Cultivate Charlottesville: Farm Assistant, Urban Agriculture Collective
- Farmworker Association of Florida: Agroecology/Food Sovereignty/Community Garden Coordinator, Climate Justice Organizer, Food Justice Organizer
- Public Justice Food Project: Food Project Staff Attorney, Food Project Research Paralegal,
- Food Project Communications Intern – Summer 2023
- Healthcare Without Harm: Recipe Database Organizer
- La Semilla: Farm Production Assistant Manager
- Soul Fire Farm: Site Coordinator, Liberation on Land Video Presenter
- Union of Concerned Scientists: Chief Development Officer, Planned Giving Coordinator, People & Culture Manager, Senior Major Gifts Officer,
- Urban Tilth: Facilities Manager, Greenway Garden Manager, Orchard For All Gleaning Program Manager, Summer Youth Apprentice Program 2023: Program Manager, Water Conservation Projects Manager
- Warehouse Workers for Justice: Development and Grants Manager
Purple Coneflower is a herbaceous flowering plant that blooms mid to late summer. Found naturally in meadows, coneflower has been used for centuries by Indigenous Americans to heal sickness; can withstand drought; and nourishes pollinators and birds.